Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Matthew 25 and Rescue Mission

The Rev. Henry Martin, executive director of the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission challenged area churches to get involved with the Mission's work Wednesday during the grand opening of the agency's new shelter.

"We're doing what the church has been called to do," he said.

In his public remarks, Martin reflected on Matthew 25, when Jesus explains how people will be judged. According to the parable God will say: "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.... Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Well, the mission fed 107,000 meals last year, and Martin joked that they don't count glasses of water. They provided 48,000 nights of lodging last year and have given out thousands of pieces of clothing. They provide medical and dental care. And they have even picked up men from prison to give them a place to stay and a way to start over.

"We're in the ministry of helping the least," Martin said.
Photo: Jim Hudelson/The Times


No comments: