Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Purple bracelet, Day 1

Purple, rubber bracelets have become the latest fad in popular religion. Inscribed with the words "A complaint free world," the theory is that the wearer pledges not to complain for 21 days. If they do complain, then they have to switch the bracelet to the other arm and start over.

I'm working on a story about a local church trying it, so I don't want to give to much away. But I also decided to try this trend for myself. My boyfriend has already laughed at me, doubtful that this will work. But that just gives me more encouragement - I really don't want to be the girlfriend that complains all the time!

So here are the definitions/rules I set for myself:

* Complaints are any whining or unnecessary criticism of another person, thing or institution, especially if I have no control over it.

* Honest evaluations or constructive criticism are OK, as long as I don't dwell on the negative. For instance, I'm going to do a restaurant review soon, and I'll have to be honest if the pasta is overcooked, but I don't have to whine about it.

* Only spoken or written complaints count.

* When I catch myself or someone else mentions it, I'll switch wrists.

So far, I've switched it once this morning. Let me know if you've tried something similar and what sort of results you're having!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've worn a rubber band on my wrist to help stop a bad habit. Every time I violated my resolution, I snapped the rubber band against my wrist. It worked very well after a couple of days.