Tuesday, April 01, 2008

More from Bishop-elect Duca

The hard thing about print is you can't write everything, so here's some more excerpts from the morning events with the new bishop.

* He noted that everywhere he went people were smiling. I can verify. Everyone is thrilled to have him and I heard more than one person say something along the lines of "he's everything we wanted."

* He's Italian -- rare for a bishop in Louisiana -- and true to that he was already looking forward to trying local restaurants. Apparently, some of his family members own a deli in Dallas.

* "Every time I read something, I'm encouraged by the depth of the programs here." Duca especially noted the Greco Institute, the adult education arm of the diocese.

* Ecumenism has been part of his ministry for several years. He is part of the American Religious Town Hall meeting TV program, which brings ministers of several faiths to discuss issues.

* Being a shepherd means he will "walk with the people, not so far ahead that they have to look up to you."

* He also celebrated his first Mass, surprising some of the regulars at the Cathedral's noon service. It was his first time to wear the purple (pink?) skull cap of the bishop, which he was a little resistant to until he was assured it was appropriate.

* In his homily, he referred to the first reading assigned for today from Acts, which talks about the early Christians sharing everything they owned.

"Those who are ordained are ordained to share that gift with the whole community," he said. "You begin to understand its not with the parish, or the diocese but the whole church. I am beginning to experience that kind of giving. I do that with a joy in my heart...."

"When we are faithful to our commitments they will drag us through life in an unexpected way.. I pray I will be everything God wants me to be and everything you desire for a bishop."

5 comments:

James H said...

Thanks for your posts. I was a tad disappointed at the evening TV news coverage. THis is truly big news and I look forward to you stoires in the Times.

It is indeed exciting times for the Diocese

Anonymous said...

"Rose" is the proper term for the liturgical color which resembles "pink".

BrianC said...

Horay for Shreveport!

Diane Libro said...

Thanks James. All we got from the diocese ahead of time was a call saying "there's a press conference with a very important announcement" and no details. So I can see why TV might not have been prepared.

Of course if you were at all familiar with this story you would have had a pretty good guess as to what the announcement would be.

Diane Libro said...

MS - to clarify, a bishop's zucchetto (skullcap) is technically violet. Although it certainly looked closer to fuschia to me.