Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Happy Lent

The radio was silent on my way to work this morning.

That's one of the disciplines I've started over the years during Lent to give myself that much more silence during the day. Our world doesn't think much of quiet reflection anymore, so I figure my car is one space I can control for the next 40 days.

In addition to giving up that minor distraction (which is surprisingly difficult), I'm also trying to DO something extra this Lent, which several area pastors recommended. Doing something means giving up one of our most precious commoditites: time. Actually, I guess it's not so much giving up time as it is reprioritizing it. I'll do my best to make it to Daily Mass or say morning and evening prayer.

I realize that today's scripture from Matthew reminds us not to be so public about our prayer and fasting, but I think there's something to be said for accountability. So that's my plan for the Lenten season - feel free to hold me to it.

I'd love to hear from you. What does Lent mean to you? And how do you observe the season?

Photo: Greg Pearson/The Times

No comments: